Sunday 20 March 2016

The Possessive Case

Over the many years that I have been a Genealogist I have often encountered a tendency to "own" one's ancestors. The reality is in fact very different. The truth is we don't own them. We share them!

Take my 3rd Great Grandfather - I've lost count of the number of descendants there are. For me to claim him as my exclusive property would clearly be ridiculous. What of my parents though? Can I claim them?  Well, not entirely, certainly not exclusively!

There are my brothers and sister and my grandparents and also in my family there are  half-siblings and their children and grandchildren as well as my own grandchildren and then of course there are my aunts and uncles and cousins and all their children and grandchildren to name but a few of the other potential claimants! Eventually my parents will be the progenitors of dozens then hundreds, then thousands perhaps millions!

The future descendants may possibly grow ad infinitum! If we add the cousins, 2nd, 3rd & 4th & so on there potentially becomes a vast number related to my mother & father - a huge number of them who would not be born at all if my Mum & Dad had never existed!

Another point of contention that frequently arises is a claim to copyright material. It should be remembered that facts by themselves cannot be made copyright although a biographical presentation that includes those facts can be subject to copyright law.

A Separate Article has now been created for the subject of Copyright.
Please Click HERE



2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Gilly - very good article.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee, I appreciate your kind comment. This is the first post under my new Tab: Articles.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

KING CHARLES 3RD Gilly Wood 28 September 2022 at 23:26 To: gillyhistory H.R.H King Charles 3rd & Gilly are 13th Cousins Once Removed. ...